Friday, September 01, 2006

Intro

It is very difficult to write, I have to admit. I have not written down my personal thoughts and impressions since I was in secondary school – that is more than 7 years now. This lousy comeback is because of my dearest friend Harith Elrufaie. He thinks I have a lot to share – I don’t know where he gets that idea from? So if you like what I write, it is because I am a great writer, if you don’t you have Harith to blame.

My name is Hamam Shawgi. My parents and relatives pronounce that as “Hammam”, please don’t get confused; “Turkish Hammam” is a completely different thing.
Hammam in Arabic means “The man with a great motive to do the good”.
My friends however, pronounce it as “Homam” which holds an entire different meaning, it means “The Lion”, and I have also read somewhere that it means “The icy water coming down from mountains”. Both are true, as Arabic language is a treasure of meaningful words and expressions. One word can have so many interpretations that depend on the context it is mentioned in.

My academic background is a Bsc. in Electrical Engineering and I am pursuing Msc degree of power engineering now. I work as a field engineer for a Saudi petroleum company “Alkhorayef WSP” in southern Sudan. It is a great experience to live in the south surrounded by rainy forests and wild animals. There are creatures in life I have been certain I would only see in T.V or Theaters, but time proved me wrong, as it often does. Here, you always have the opportunity to meet Mr. Anaconda and his entire family and you can also have a warm friendly chat with a tiger or two. No matter how big you think this globe is, it always turns out to be bigger. I have never imagined that a 2 hours flight from Khartoum the capital of the Sudan, would take me to such a magical and mysterious place like where I am now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Harith Elrufaie said...

Salamat wa ashwag shadeeda ya Humam. I am very glad that you took my advice seriously. You took it just the way I recommend a new coffee flavor to you!

Speaking of airplanes since I fly now every week and accumulating air miles in very high rate, I just found something very inspiring there. For some reason, you reach a limit of mind relaxation that freshens your memories.

I'd love if you can write about our beautiful days in UAE. I have always said that Humam has his own school of jokes! And my father always said that Humam comes from a family with sense of humor! (Knowing your father’s uncle!)

Looking forward to it. Best wishes!

9:47 AM  
Blogger aelgali said...

Salam Humam,
It’s good to see you blogging. I hope that will encourage me to press the publishing button since I’ve already started blogging couple of months ago but without publishing. Why is that?!!! Ummm DA MA WHY?! lool frankly saying "no reason"
take care for now

12:12 PM  
Blogger Eman said...

bro Humam, mabroook bes ma 3azmtana 3ala alefteta7 :@
well, go ahead dear bro, am sure ur blogs will be as wonderful as the writer...
wish u all luck...

7:11 PM  
Blogger eemanov said...

hi humam thanks alot for da idea

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home